FREAKY FRIDAY

Some thoughts that are bubbling over and need to escape:

When the hell are the New England Revolution going to kick it into gear and start winning games 5-1 again? This team is a potential offensive juggernaut this season. Am I the only one following the Revs?

* * *

No one is more excited about Dougie Mirabelli coming back to Boston than my wife, Kathy, as she can watch every start by Wakefield and ogle Mirabelli with reckless abandon (hey, she has to make up for Rock Star Bronson Arroyo anchoring the rotation of the first place Cincinnati Reds).

* * *

Has anyone noticed how Wily Mo Pena (favorite Red Sox player of my two-year old daughter, Emmalee) has been ripping the ball to the opposite field? If Papa Jack can keep Wily Mo going the other way with power, this trade will go down as one of those rare win-win situations. Jenn, I hope you enjoying the end of the Trot Nixon era in Boston.

* * *

I still think David Wells win a dozen games by the end of the season.

* * *

I so hope that Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli are right as usual and Laurence Maroney and Chad Jackson are as good as some people think. In fact, all I ask is that they are better than and LenDale White and Sinorice Moss. And I mean that I hope they are as right about picking Maroney over White as they were about picking Richard Seymour over David Terrell.

* * *

I doubt anyone agrees with me, but I would stick Alex Gonzalez out at shortstop everyday if he hit .000. The man is magnificent in the infield. Forget Cabrera, who was a half-season of flash without the substance, but the Red Sox have never EVER had shortstop who can make the plays like Gonzalez. Not Nomar, not Rick Burleson, not Spike Owen, not Johnny Pesky, not Lou Bourdreau, not Vern Stephens: NO ONE!

* * *

As I pointed out to a colleague at work, by inverting two letters, instead of saying:
have a great weekend
I had inadvertently typed:
Have a greta weekend

Now, I have never had a greta weekend, but I imagine it involves the Swiss Womens Volleyball Team, right?

* * *

All of those losers who were calling into the Dennis & Callahan show on WEEI this week bemoaning the fact that Mark Loretta is in a slump and dat we shoulda nevah gotten riddah Graffanino, let me make two points:

1. Who made the atrocious error against the White Sox in the Divisional Series that effectively ended the 2005 season for the Boston Red Sox?
2. Who, as I watched the Royals game last night, came up to bat with the robust average of .150? That is right, Tony Graffanino.

All I can say is that I am disappointed that Jon Meterparel, aka the only person at WEEI apparently not reading from a script, did not challenge these knucklehead callers and point out that Graff sucks (in his defense, he did argue that Graff never was, never will be, never could be more than a utility/fill-in/back-up second baseman).

* * *

Comments