Think of me what you will / I have a little space to fill

The Patriots had a great first week of free agency, acting aggressively to upgrade on defense and offense. In addition to retaining cornerback Asante Samuel and special teams star Larry Izzo, the Pats shored up their defense with Adalius Thomas stepping in at linebacker (position to be determined) and wide receiver Wes Welker, running back Sammy Morris, and tight end Kyle Brady on offense.

I am very excited about the off-season moves so far, in fact, much like Pete Carroll used to say, I am pumped and jacked. I have been raving about Adalius Thomas in this space for weeks, so I will spare you any more blather about him. Wes Welker is simply a younger Troy Brown, and Kyle Brady provides both blocking ability and good hands at a fraction of the price of Dan Graham. Believe me, if I had my druthers I would have kept Corey Dillon, but not at the price he was costing. Morris is a big back with some wiggle who can help out on special teams and cover for Kevin Faulk on third down if the scat back goes down.

I sincerely doubt the Randy Moss era would ever be seen in New England, unless Moss cost only a second-day pick, renegotiated his contract to cap-friendly numbers, and had an out in his contract that let the Patriots dump him with little penalty if he acted out. It could happen, but I am not expecting it.

* * *

I know it is early March, but the Red Sox rotation looks S-I-C-K right now. Pencil the Sox in for 100+ wins right now.

* * *

I refuse to keep posting the same thing about the Celtics over and over, but the team is better with Rondo or Telfair on the court and Delonte West shooting commercials with a cardboard cut-out of Lucky the Leprechaun. Also, if the Celtics cannot finagle Greg Oden or Kevin Durant, let me just say that Joachim Noah is no Dwayne Wade-esque prize for missing out on the big boys.

* * *

It warms the cockles of my heart to see Boston College getting their choke on as the NCAA tourney warms ups with the conference tourneys. I expect BC to do well in the ACC tourney, get a 5 or 6 seed, and then lose to an 11 or 12 in the first round.

* * *

Wow, the Bruins are almost watch-able. How did that happen? Whoops, forget it. They are back to their usual suck-ass play

* * *

Heck, I am still ticked off that Marvel comics: a. killed off Captain America; b. had Spider-Man come out to the world as Peter Parker; and c: turned Tony Stark (a.k.a. Iron Man) into a petty thug. Civil War was a horrible concept, horribly executed, and damaged the brand. Now, before this turns into a comics blog, I am going to exit this paragraph without expressing my disgust at the whole idea of killing Spidey and having him reborn with natural webs and all the other crapola. And the industry wonders why I give up on comics every few years (though somehow I always get sucked back in). I know, I know, comics and sports do not mix, nerds and jocks separate forever, but I had to get it off my chest and did not feel like logging on to a comics discussion board.

* * *

Comments